Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why did I pick bioengineering?

A looming question all high school seniors face is what they would like to major in. I, as are most of the other people in this BE 100 class, chose to major in bioengineering. The question of why bioengineering seems pretty similar to many college application essays I have written. I'll try to sum up my life experiences and interests in order to do this post justice.

In eighth grade I tore my ACL at a soccer tournament, and it was not until months after that day did I realize what bioengineers do. I went through almost a year of rehab until I was back on the field playing how I used to. Bioengineers helped create the imaging machines that were used to diagnose the problem, the tools used in the surgery, and the devices used in recovery and protection.

http://www.aclsolutions.com/images/Seif_what%20is%20ACL.jpghttp://www.aclsolutions.com/theacl_1.php

I volunteered at a local hospital in my high school years and have seen the devices bioengineers create being used to improve people's quality of life. I want to change the world in a positive way.

I really enjoy math and science as well. I like how bioengineering is a rapidly developing field with plenty of opportunities for future students to change the world. Also I believe that an engineering degree can lead to many career paths, a good thing for an eighteen year old who is not one-hundred percent sure about what she wants to do with the rest of her life. Engineering? Business? Law? All I really know is that I want to do what I enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment