Sunday, September 20, 2009

Transforming into an Engineer

Engineers think in a way in which they try to weigh all possible options before coming to a final conclusion. From the discussion I realized that engineers think about the big picture more often. I don't only think about the question of should I get a swine flu shot, but the question of who should get it before me. What groups should receive the vaccine in order to best control the spread of the swine flu, minimize cases, and of course minimize fatalities caused by swine flu? Engineers use logic to make sense in a difficult situation, such as the current swine flu situation. Initially I thought that college students have a descent immune system and are not a crucial group to immunize, but I later realized the public health aspect of that group. College students could rapidly spread the disease because they live in such close quarters. I was not thinking on a geographic level, rather I was thinking about more of an individual group level. I thought to protect young children, who have weaker immune systems, would be the best group. Then I thought and currently think that health care workers are the best group to immunize.

In the decision-making process, engineers use facts, studies, and statistics to help justify their decision. I think the process of investigating before coming to a conclusion is quite logical. The investigation not only requires the evidence but more importantly the analysis to see what exactly is the best course of action. I used a variety of databases and articles to get background and specific information to prepare for the discussion. Seeing as much information as possible helps in making a better and more educated decision.

http://www.publichealthforums.com/images/h1n1vaccine.jpg

http://www.publichealthforums.com/images/h1n1vaccine.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Sarah - Good job with the blog so far. You have been able to share your thoughts and opinions while staying on topic which is important. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete