Sunday, October 25, 2009

how does this work: a preliminary machine diagram















(The only way I could figure out putting the diagram into the post was literally printing it out, taking a picture of it, and uploading the picture. I could not paste it from a word or powerpoint file.)
The top left to right says: Architecture, Porosity, Degradability, Cell Source; Force, Regeneration of cells (mass).
The middle left to right says: Knee; Cells (Mass) ; PLAGA fibers.
The bottom left to right says: Knee strength and stability; Body’s ability to accept new ACL scaffold and generate, Cell migration and attachment; 3-D braiding geometry, Circular or rectangular, Biomaterial of fiber, PLGA, Braiding angle, Pore diameter, Surface area.

I found creating a machine diagram for an ACL tissue scaffold quite difficult. I am wondering whether the first component should be the knee or something else. Essentially, the scaffold is just fibers twisted together. It does not really have several "components." Here's my first attempt at a machine diagram (with the knee as component one). This is subject to change if I have some moment of genius in which I discover a more appropriate component one.

The issue at hand is that my machine is more abstract than a more mechanical device like an artificial arm. I think the item being transferred for my device is cells, although it really seems like it is the potential for the regrowth of cells. I guess an exercise like this does not have one right answer. Problems sometimes have different types of solutions that can lead to the same end result. In my project that concept is at play. Different people have studied different methods of construction ACL tissue scaffolds in terms of biomaterial used, angle the material is braided at, the pore size of the fibers, and such. They all use different methods that lead to the end result of an ACL tissue scaffold. Sure the strengths may be slighltly different, but the overall solution is to create the tissue scaffold and try to minimize recovery time while improving the current ACL reconstruction methods used.

No comments:

Post a Comment